Thursday, December 3, 2009

A challenge - Part II

Ok, so I am going to do it! Starting January 1, I am going to attempt to only make, or purchase handmade goods, or secondhand items for one year. I've been contemplating this challenge for a while and with good advice from friends have decided that I can achieve this. I'm not going to put myself under any pressure, and I won't feel guilty if I have to purchase brand new. If a new purchase is required, then I aim to make sure, to the best of my ability, that what I do buy is ecologically sound, or has been made using Fair Trade practises.

As some of my commentors mentioned on the last post, the challenge is about awareness. Awareness of where my pennies are spent, awareness of need vs want, awareness of environment and awareness of quality. I will enjoy spending my money knowing that love has gone into the making of an item, or knowing that someone has decided to recycle something rather than throw it into landfill. I'm also looking forward to perfecting my skills and hope that my own creations will play a part in what my family uses over the year.

I'm going to keep a record of purchases and creations, and will update you all throughout the year with how things are running. It's an exciting ambition, and I'm really looking forward to it with the utmost anticipation!

1 comment: