Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jennifer's Lemon Curd


Here is a recipe shared with me by Jennifer, an old 'new' friend - ain't Facebook grand!? I made it today and couldn't even wait until it had cooled to try it out on some toast. Absolutely scrumptious! It used up another two of my excess lemons but I still have plenty left. When I get the time I think I'll whip up another batch or two for friends and family. Just need to get my hands on some jars....

LEMON CURD

2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup butter
zest and juice of 2 lemons

Whisk whole eggs, yolks and sugar in a saucepan until smooth.
Place pan over low heat, and add butter, juice and zest. Whisk continuously until thick. Strain through a sieve into sterilised jar. (I gave up on the straining halfway through as my sieve is ready to go sieve heaven, and besides I don't mind a little bit of rind!).

As Jenny says, "its meant to keep in the fridge for 2 weeks, but I've had some over a month and it's still yummy". I doubt mine will last that long...

While we are still on the topic of lemons, here is a picture of my fermenting Lemon Ginger Ale. I posted the recipe on yesterday's blog. I had to tweak the recipe slightly as I didn't have rapadura or organic, unrefined sugar! I used half a cup of brown sugar and half a cup of white sugar instead. I didn't get quite the half cup of whey that was needed, but hopefully what I did get will suffice. Now to wait the 10 days before I can drink it...

1 comment:

  1. very COOL Rebecca - wish I had lemons here instead of a plethora of limes! I am not sure lime butter would be as tasty! Still planning on making limeade though ...

    ReplyDelete