Thursday, June 18, 2009

Words

I thought I was the only person to have 'favourite words'. I've mentioned it to people in the past and they look at me like I've got two heads. But you know, some words just feel good. They roll off your tongue and feel nice in your mouth. They sound pretty. I've now discovered I'm not the only one with this little fascination. There's a whole website about it! http://www.myfavoriteword.com/

Some of my favourites words are -

Bespoke - It's a chiefly British word meaning something that is handmade, as opposed to mass produced. I always imagine some pompous aristocrat walking into a tailor's shop on Saville Row, ready to order his bespoke suit and bowler hat.

Esquire - This is of course the title of the aforementioned pompous aristocrat! I worked on Saville Row in London for a gentleman who always signed his letters, 'Steven B Garside, Esquire' It made me laugh everytime I had to type it.

Serendipity - Oh, how I wish I had serendipity! It is the talent for making fortunate discoveries while searching for other things. The word, as well as the notion, makes me feel so happy!

Whimsical - Fanciful, playful, fairy-like, pink, white, pale green shabby things, pretty little flowers, imaginary friends...

Halcyon - Conjures images of hyper-colour swirls, long hair and the Age of Aquarius. I think that imagery comes from the term 'halcyon days' which refers to a time of great happiness, usually in the past. I think I was a hippy in my previous life.

Nazareth - I think it is the 'z' sound that appeals to me. It would also make a gorgeous girls name as it sounds so exotic. It is of course, the largest city in Israel (another word that I think would make a good name), and is the childhood home of Jesus.

Discombobulated - Is one of those words that sounds like it's meaning - confused and befuddled.

Antebellum - This word refers to something that came before the great American Civil War. I like the way it feels when I say it, and it always invokes visions of grand southern plantation homes, and tumblers of mint julip.

I'm sure there are plenty more, but these are all that I can think of right now. I'll be sure to let you know of any others as they pop into my head. What are your favourite words?

No comments:

Post a Comment