Tuesday, June 16, 2009

To daydream...

Dreamlike - adjective : of, relating to, or in the nature of an illusion; lacking reality, like a dream

Musing - noun : contemplation; meditation; A product of contemplation; a thought.

We all daydream. I do it a lot. Sometimes they are fanciful, sometimes they are frightening. Sometimes I get so tied up in them, I forget they are just ideas and not reality. My daydreaming is an extension of my wonderful childhood and the times I spent playing make believe.

I grew up long before video games, long before computers and my fun was self made. I cooked mud pies in the back yard, played Mummy with my dolls, directed and acted in plays that we performed for the neighbours, danced to music all day long, dressed up in Mum’s clothes (and made my brother do it too), and I became the characters in the stories I regularly devoured.

When I grew older, my best friends and I would play ‘What if..’. It was a game we made up during one of our many sleepovers, and it kept us awake well into the early hours. We took turns to ask each other what we would do in all sorts of hypothetical situations…. ‘what would you do if the guy you liked asked you out’, ‘what would you do if you could meet *insert favourite movie star/rock star*, ‘what if you had all the money in the world’ etc, etc. Our imaginations were endless and the questions grew in intensity the older we got!

These days my imaginings are very different. I daydream about not having a mortgage, I wonder what my children will do when they grow up, I wonder what I will do for a job when that time comes, I daydream about getting into size 12 clothes again, and I comtemplate the moral decline of today’s youth and hope that my kids can escape it. The list goes on, and flitters from saving the world ideas to what I would cook if I had Jamie Oliver’s talent! These musings are powerful and they keep me sane.

What do you daydream about?

No comments:

Post a Comment