Monday, July 27, 2009

Food, glorious food!

I know, I know. It's been nearly two weeks since my last blog entry. Busy, busy times, let me tell you!

Anyway, I received an email from World Vision last week that had an attachment included which, although I had seen it before, I thoroughly enjoyed viewing again. It's called What The World Eats, and is a series of photos from the book Hungry Planet. It shows families from all over the world, and pictured in front of them is their weekly grocery items or food staples. It's SO interesting, and incredibly eye-opening. Particularly when you compare the western diet with those of developing nations. We consume so much processed, packaged rubbish that it's no wonder the obesity, diabetes and heart disease rates are out of control. Truly frightening!

I shared the slideshow with the kids. They were fascinated, and it was 20 minutes of great discussion. We looked at each one and dissected their diet. We picked out the good foods (the fresh fruits and vegies, breads and grains, fish and lean meat), and then we picked out the bad foods (pizza boxes, softdrinks, chocolate bars etc). We talked about where each of the families were from, and we speculated on what they did and how they lived. A nutrition and geography lesson, all rolled in one!

Here's the link - http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519,00.html

Have a look, show the kids and tell me what you think!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment