Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Fire of Friendship by Paulo Coelho


“A man called Ali is in need of money and asks his boss to help him out. His boss sets him a challenge: if he can spend all night on the top of a mountain, he will receive a great reward; if he fails, he will have to work for free. When he left the shop, Ali noticed that an icy wind was blowing. He felt afraid and decided to ask his best friend, Aydi, if he thought he was mad to accept the wager.

After considering the matter for a moment, Aydi answered: ‘Don’t worry, I’ll help you. Tomorrow night, when you’re sitting on top of the mountain, look straight ahead. I’ll be on the top of the mountain opposite, where I’ll keep a fire burning all night for you. Look at the fire and think of our friendship; and that will keep you warm. You’ll make it through the night, and afterwards, I’ll ask you for something in return.’”

Ali won the wager, got the money, and went to his friend’s house. ‘You said you wanted some sort of payment in return.’ Aydi said, ‘Yes, but it isn’t money. Promise that if ever a cold wind blows through my life, you will light the fire of friendship for me.’”

2 comments:

  1. Your true friends are always there.....you just have to let them in and don't close yourself from them.They may not understand what you are going through as the old saying goes "walk a mile in my shoes and then you will understand". All we really want from our friends is a shoulder to cry on and an ear to chew off but not advice unless we ask for it.
    Hope things are going well for you and your family. Gita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gita. Lovely words. Yes, my true friends are here and I'm thankful that they've stuck by me during the toughest period of my life. Others have chosen not to stick by me, and that's ok too. I'm sure they have their reasons. That's life. Yes, things are going really well for us all. I'm very lucky. I hope you're all well too. xx

    ReplyDelete