Friday, July 29, 2011

Is it holy water?

Has it been blessed by the Pope? Or is it tinged with gold?

It must be, because water now costs more than land. I'm sure I'm not the only one in my city to cry when they received their latest water bill, and I'm sure I'm not the only who, quite simply, cannot afford to pay it.

I received my first water bill six months ago and baulked at the $800 I was told I needed to pay in less than four weeks. But I paid it. On time and in full. I guess I figured they knew what they were doing, and even though it was expensive, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed they'd gotten it right.

This time though, I'm not quite so forgiving. My bill is $1015. You know that feeling you get when you're heart skips a beat and you, just for split second, lose consciousness? Well, that's how I felt when I opened the envelope and saw the amount. Gobsmacked. How could my water bill have gone up $200 when during the peak of the consumption period, we had torrential rain and flooding!? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, watered their gardens, topped up their tanks, filled up their pools or hosed the driveway for nearly 2 months! Excess water usage? I doubt it. It's just plain ludicrous.

So what is the answer? What do you do when you have a bill that you can't afford, and feel has been unjustly charged? Well, I'm going to fight it. I'm not sure how yet, but I will. Anyone want to join me?

Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment